Thursday, April 21, 2016

How to make a Girl Scout Patch Pillow (Part 2)

Since the How to make a Girl Scout Patch Pillow tutorial is long, I broke it in to two parts.


Some of you may be asking yourselves, "Why did she make the back side of the pillow first?" Well, the truth is, I was debating on if I should purchase a Cadette vest for the last square or try to match the material. Originally both sides were going to be identical. Then, I knew the two sides had to be different because of the troop insignia patches. You will see with this post the design I came up with...

For me the Girl Scout Sash has always been so cute. I remember being little, wearing my little uniform, and was especially proud of my sash. Of course, way back then there weren't so many fun patches. So, today the best option to show off all those patches are Girl Scout vests.

Now, I wasn't about to go buy another vest or sash and rip it up for this project. Plus, I had all that closely matched khaki material to work with. I had bought my daughter an extra large Junior (green) vest. I had plenty of green to make a sash for the front and the square for the backside. I also had plenty of khaki for the front side background, which resembles a uniform shirt.

Step five: Creating a sash

I went to the attic and found my dwindling box of memories. There I found my old sash and I was able to trace it onto the scrap green vest material. If you don't have an old sash laying around to trace, I'm sure you can eyeball this part. Just draw a slightly curved line and another parallel to it approximately 5 inches apart. Your hemmed sash should be about 41/4 inches wide.

If your daughter has a sash, use it! You will have to cut the top and bottom of it to fit your background. Your insignia will just have to be sewn on for extra security.


Note that I cut outside of the line a quarter inch extra to allow for a hem. Then I pinned the hem.


 After I sewed both sides of the sash, I had something that is almost identical to my sash!


Part six: Creating the background panel and patch placement

Take your completed pillow back side and lay it on top of your khaki material. Line up the edges. Grab your ruler, trace the edges, and cut out your large square for the background. Place your sash on the background and start planning out your patch placement.




Just like the back side, staple your patches in place.

Part seven: Be true to your sash! 

Now grab your sash and pull up the official sash patch placement. I'm pretty sure it's the same for all United States Girl Scouts, but you better check your council. I wanted this part of the pillow to be as true to our troop as possible.

Again, staple the patches on to your sash and get ready to sew!

Thread your machine with your transparent thread and sew the patches onto your sash. Tip: After all your insignia, numbers, and pins are lined up like they're supposed to be, remove those star pins and such. The sewing machine foot does not like them.

When you finish sewing the insignia on, put you award pins back on the sash and remove all those staples. Then pin your sash back in place and carefully sew it onto the khaki background. Now your award pin backs will be safely hidden between the sash and khaki fabric.


Once the sash is finished, sew on your other background patches. When all the patches are sewn on, remove all those staples. The front of your Girl Scout pillow is finished


Part eight: Putting it all together!

Now we're on the home stretch. (If you don't want to install a zipper, scroll down for the zipper free instructional). At this point I debated on putting a zipper in just in case the pillow form needed to be removed for cleaning or repair. I tend to over think things sometimes. But I imagined my daughter having this pillow in her first apartment and someone spilling something on it. Things happen. Zipper won.

installing a zipper was actually easier than it sounds, especially at this stage. We still have two separate panels. It had been a long time since I put a zipper in, so I turned to you tube to refresh my memory.


I could not get a zipper the exact size I needed. So, I had to make it fit my Girl Scout Patch Pillow. Do this by determining the size, make a mark, and hand stitch a tight loop around the zipper. Tie it off and cut the excess zipper off.



By this time in the process, I was ready to be done with the Girl Scout Pillow. Rather than going through all the basting and ripping, I opted to pin "baste" the zipper where I wanted it. For aesthetics, you should put the zipper on the bottom of the pillow. Create an imaginary 1/4 inch hem. Ensure both sides of your pillow are still the same. Pin the zipper in and start sewing. Be sure to do a few back stitches after you start the run to "lock" the stitches in.


Once you get to the pull, stop your machine and zip the zipper back up.


Then continue your run until you get the side in. 


Don't forget to lock the stitch at the end of the run.

Next pin in your other side the way you did the first. Make sure both edges line up properly and repeat the process.


Now you zipper is installed!



Line up all your edges and sew a 1/4 inch seam all around the remaining 3 sides.  Tip: at each corner I did a few locking stitches for added security. Be sure to either pin or press open any seams before you sew your edges together.



Once you finish, turn your patch pillow inside out and insert the pillow form.


Now your Girl Scout Patch Pillow is complete! Enjoy! 




Part eight: Putting it all together, Zipper free!

If you don't want a zipper, you don't have to have one. If you decided to use fiber fill instead of a pillow form for the project you may not want a zipper.


If you're opting out of the zipper, put your panels right sides together. Make sure the top and sides are all facing in the right direction, pin the panels together. Start sewing the pillow together from just off the middle of the bottom seam. After you start the seam do a few back stitches to "lock" the material together. Continue sewing around the pillow a quarter inch seam. Go slowly because your sewing foot will be encountering the patches and a bumpy run. At each corner, do a few locking stitches for added security. Once you get back around to the bottom half of the pillow leave about a 5 inch opening.

Turn you pillow right side out through the opening you created. Stuff your pillow to the desired plumpness. Fold in the rough edges of the opening to create a neat edge and sew it closed. Congratulations! Your Girl Scout Patch pillow is finished, enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any tips you would like to share on this post?