Thursday, April 28, 2016

I'm Creating a Studio

I made a decision. If I'm going to make a go at Etsy, I need a true studio. Usually, I work at the coffee table. Not comfortable because I have to sit on the floor. Plus, I have to clean up all my supplies after a crafting session. The living room is, after all, a common area.

Also, for the last year I've been doing a lot of sewing. So much so that I got a brand new fancy sewing machine for my birthday. My old machine just wasn't cutting it, only one stitch worked, and the speed control broke.

I had my old sewing machine set up on an old rickety metal table in our loft, which used to be the nursery. The loft had become a catch-all storage space since the youngest moved into her sister's old room.

Turning the loft into a studio made me decide to upgrade a few things. If you dream it, you can be it! (or however that phrase goes). I use to be all into visualization. I digress. Got a new sewing machine, so I Need a new table to put it on. Poof! It should be here before Mother's Day! (Thanks Honey!)

A couple of years ago, I decided to re-purpose my daughter's changing table. Now it serves as my craft supply storage space. So, storage is taken care of. We got a folding table for an anniversary gift one year.  So, I'm going to use that as my cutting table (temporarily, I need a bigger table). 

The loft is a huge space so I'm going to set up my ironing board up there too. Though I hate ironing clothes, I don't mind ironing a sewing project.

This studio is going to be awesome when I'm finished with it! 
  • There is a ton of natural light because of a skylight. So, taking pictures for Etsy will be a breeze. 
  • The square footage leaves me ample room to incorporate all the tools I need for crafting.
  • If I'm in the middle of a project, I won't have to put it away.
  • There's even enough space left over for an exercise area to pump some creative iron. 
I don't know why I didn't think of doing this years ago. This is still a work in progress, but here is where I'm at thus far...

Before


Looks pretty sad with the old metal sewing table and a shopping (trash) bag hanging on the lamp. Let's not forget to mention the old bed frame and child gate leaning against the wall. And, what about that clutter on the old changing table? Nice!


Midway Progress




Love, love, love my new sewing table. It's by Sauder. Now, it's not the most fancy, or expensive (hubby paid $129, with free shipping), but it really works for the space. Soon I'm going to re-upholster my grand mother's old chair with a great fabric I found on clearance at Joann's. Eventually, I plan on replacing the changing table with a true storage unit with drawers and a better color match to the sewing table.

I'm happy with my crafting space so far. As more gets done, I'll post another update.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any tips you would like to share on this post?